Monday 27 February 2012

The Lost Days

I don't know where the time is going. I know it sounds ridiculously cliche, but time is really flying by me and these days I feel an acute sense of urgency to try and slow things down and absorb each moment for every last drop its worth.

Making Sunday morning pancakes.

Followed by Sunday dinners.

Maybe it is because my baby's second birthday approaching.  Maybe it's the craziness of our recent move. Maybe it's the fact that we are on a head on collision with Spring and despite the snow that's been dumping around here I still don't feel like we've had a proper winter. It's probably a mix of all that, but with March 1st just days away I am finding myself increasingly desperate to freeze frame all the tiny wonderful moments of these days and lock them up in my memory forever.

Jake has started playing this game where he pretends his stuffed snakes are attacking him. He takes a running leap onto them and yells "Oh no!"

It is so easy to get caught up, to lose myself in the routine of every day. My mind often just goes into auto drive while I am in the survival mode that pushes me through one day and into the next, and I miss all those small moments that create the big picture of our life as a family.

The Twins came to visit this weekend. We've missed them. We love them. And yes, that is Jake escaping upstairs.


Suddenly the weekend is over, and I remember just hours ago when I felt relieved that it was finally here.  But what did we do again? And what conversations did I have? What new things did Jake discover, do or say that I should have taken a photo of, or written down, or videoed?

Weekend aquarium visits.


As much as I want to pack into these days, I also need to find that balance that allows me to enjoy them, and I need to learn how to take the time out to stand back and appreciate the little things that make up our life.


If anyone has any techniques and suggestions on how to do this, I'm all ears.

In the meantime, welcome Spring.  She seems to be making herself known around here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment