Monday 23 January 2012

Musings on Moving

This is our apartment right now:


Times this corner of the place by all the other corners of the place, plus the cramped places under our dining room table and our storage, and you might get a better picture.


There are about a hundred reasons I can think of off the top of my head for why we really should have moved a long time ago, but for all those reasons I am still overwhelmed by a strange sadness when I look at all these boxes. I can't help it, but I am really going to miss this place.


 
Change is inevitable, change is necessary, and change (in this case) is really good. Nevertheless, this apartment was our home for three years. It's where we were living when we married, where we brought our first baby home to, the only home that that baby has ever known. I guess packing it all into a few dozen Frog Boxes is proving to be much harder than I thought it would be.

Coming home, March 2010
First sleep at home
I was really worried about how Jake would be with all this packing and moving going on, but he seems totally oblivious, like it is a game where he puts all his stuffed animals into one box then takes them out and puts them into another.  The rational side of me knows that he'll be totally fine. Kids this young are resilient. They go with the flow, roll with the punches, adapt more easily than when they are older. Jake won't even remember this place... but that is where my irrational side's heart breaks just a little.

Naps on the good ole couch, with good ole dad
First Stanley Cup playoffs
Giggles in the living room
He loves this place so much now. He's never cared that it's too small, the walls too thin, the stairs with-no-elevator situation too cumbersome. He just cares that it's familiar, safe, cozy.  Every time I push the stroller through the front door he says "Home!" Or when we are out somewhere and he is tired he will tell us, "Home now".  It makes me sad just a little that he won't remember how much he loved it here, his very first home.

First Steps
I know, rational side knows it too, the new place is way better. Cousins live across the road, and there is a forest begging to be played in right outside our window. There is an upstairs and, praise be, a third bedroom. Space. Sound proof walls. A dishwasher. It's good change. He will love his new home.

But despite all the inconveniences, this home was good too. And I will remember it enough for the both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment