Monday 31 October 2011

Happy Halloween!

This evening we caved and decided to take Jake trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.  At first we weren't going to for a few reasons, including trick-or-treat time was cutting it close to his bedtime, he wouldn't be allowed to eat (much of) the candies anyway, and he's sort of at the in between age where he gets it but he doesn't really get it so we figured he wouldn't know any different either way.








But yesterday we went to a halloween/birthday party and all the kids were dressed up in their costumes and having way too much fun, and my husband and I thought what the heck 'tis the season, we might as well let him indulge in the experience.  So today after we got home from work we ate a hearty dinner and fished out Jake's old Easter basket we improvised as his treat bag and headed out the door.


J and I at the birthday party. He's the lil engineer, in case you were wondering :)

And we're off!

And we are very glad we did, because our boy had the time of his life.



I didn't know what to expect from my boy. I thought he might be shy, or maybe have a bit of a meltdown or two because he was getting tired.  What I did not expect was for Jake to bound up the stairs dragging us up behind him to knock his little fist on doors, and dig into the offered candy bowls with the vigor and enthusiasm of a kid who appreciates good candy. He had smiles for everyone, and left each treat sight with a hearty "Bye!"  It took maybe a house and a half before he decided that trick-or-treating was definitely worth his while.




We didn't go far, we didn't have to. Hitting half the houses on one side of the street on our block resulted in this:

The final loot. No bad for half a block, eh?

I am still not sure what to do with it all. To be completely honest the Mr. and I have already made a good dent in the goods, but whatever happens to the candy I am glad for the family memory.  It brought a smile to our boy's face that stretched from ear to ear, and it made my husband and I feel like we were 8 years old again.


Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment